CONGRESSWOMAN JOHNSON STATEMENT ON POTUS BIDEN’S ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE AMERICAN JOBS PLAN
Washington, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX-30) applauded President Biden’s announcement of the American Jobs Plan, a bold and transformative investment in our nation’s transportation and infrastructure systems:
“Following through on yet another major campaign promise, President Biden today laid out his plan to invest in – and build back better – our nation’s crumbling infrastructure,” said Congresswoman Johnson. “It has been a priority in my career to promote quality transportation and infrastructure in Texas and throughout the country. Not only will the American Jobs Plan do just that, but it will also create millions of good-paying jobs along the way.”
“As the Senior Texan on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, I look forward to working with President Biden and my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to pass this legislation and deliver this critical and much-needed investment.”
Among the several provisions included in the American Jobs Plan are ones that:
- Fix highways, rebuild bridges, upgrade ports, airports, and transit systems.
- Deliver clean drinking water, a renewed electric grid, and high-speed broadband to all Americans.
- Build, preserve, and retrofit more than two million homes and commercial buildings, modernize our nation’s schools and child care facilities, and upgrade veterans’ hospitals and federal buildings.
- Solidify the infrastructure of our care economy by creating jobs and raising wages and benefits for essential home care workers.
- Revitalize manufacturing, secure U.S. supply chains, invest in R&D, and train Americans for the jobs of the future.
- Create good-quality jobs that pay prevailing wages in safe and healthy workplaces while ensuring workers have a free and fair choice to organize, join a union, and bargain collectively with their employers.