Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson Hosts Youth Crime Prevention Summit for District 30 Students
DALLAS, TX – Yesterday, Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson hosted her annual Youth Crime Prevention Summit at the University of North Texas at Dallas. This year’s summit, featuring the theme “Knowledge is Power” and seven talented and committed panelists, connected more than 120 high school students from across District 30 with prominent community leaders who imparted their wisdom and knowledge to help guide these students through a safe summer and a to better life.
“Providing young people with positive role models and important life skills is vital to their growth and development,” said Congresswoman Johnson. “Through this summit, students get the opportunity to meet and interact with important figures who can share their own experiences and how they made the right choices to overcome adversity. All students have the potential of a bright future. This youth summit helps them see that potential in themselves.”
Panelists and Speakers at the summit:
· Bob Mung, President of the University of North Texas at Dallas
· Joli Robinson, Dallas Police Department
· Ray Schufford, Dallas Fire-Rescue
· The Honorable Dominique Collins, Dallas County Criminal Court #4
· Derrick LeBlanc, United States Secret Service
· Laura Bruton, North Texas Job Corps
· Jeremy Spencer, United States Army Corp of Engineers
· Cory Proctor, former Dallas Cowboy
The Youth Crime Prevention Summit is a component of Congresswoman Johnson’s efforts to connect with the youth and provide them with opportunities to better their education and open their horizons to new professions. She also hosts the Math and Science Lecture Series and the Youth Summit and Diversity Dialogue each year.
Photos from the event can be viewed here.